- visual art
- code work (software development, data science)
- technology + society research
- Scholar profile
- Much of my recent scholarship in sociotechnical systems is informed by the concept or repair work, which entails "...an appreciation of the real limits and fragility of the worlds we
inhabit—natural, social, and technological... [And for the] ongoing activities by
which stability (such as it is) is maintained, the subtle arts of repair ... how sociotechnical forms and infrastructures, large and small,
get not only broken but restored"
(Jackson, "Rethinking Repair").
- voice acting
Natural Language Processing and Machine Learning
- Kuksenok, K., & Martyniv, A. Evaluation and Improvement of Chatbot Text Classification Data Quality Using Plausible Negative Examples. arXiv preprint arXiv:1906.01910. Prepared for ACL 2019 workshop on Conversational AI
- Kuksenok, K., & Praß, N. Transparency in Maintenance of Recruitment Chatbots. arXiv preprint arXiv:1905.03640. Prepared for Bridging the Gap Between AI and HCI Workshop at CHI 2019, Saturday 4 May 2019
- Bangalore S, and Kuksenok K. "System and method for collaborative language translation." U.S. Patent No. 9,323,746. 26 Apr. 2016. (In the press: Using active learning to improve statistical machine translation output)
- Chen C, White L, Kowalewski T, Aggarwal R, Lintott C, Comstock B, Kuksenok K, Aragon C, Holst D, Lendvay T. Crowd-Sourced Assessment of Technical Skills: a novel method to evaluate surgical performance. J Surgical Res. 2014; 187(1): 65-71.
- Brooks M, Kuksenok K, et al. Statistical Affect Detection in Collaborative Chat. In Proceedings of the 2013 conference on Computer supported cooperative work. ACM, 2013.
Study of Software Production
- Kit Kuksenok, Stefania Santagati. Readable as Intimate: towards a conceptual framework for empirical interrogation of software implementations of intimacy. AI Love You - Developments on Human-Robot Intimate Relationships. Edited by Yuefang Zhou, Martin H. Fischer. In Print (2018)
- K Kuksenok, Cecilia Aragon, James Fogarty, Charlotte P. Lee, Gina Neff.
Deliberate Individual Change Framework for Understanding Programming Practices in four Oceanography Groups.
Computer Supported Cooperative Work (2017). doi:10.1007/s10606-017-9285-x.
- Allen A, et al. Engineering Academic Software (Dagstuhl Perspectives Workshop 16252). Schloss Dagstuhl--Leibniz-Zentrum fuer Informatik. Dagstuhl, Germany. 2017.
- Kuksenok, K. "Influence apart from adoption: How interaction between programming and scientific practices shapes modes of inquiry in four oceanography teams." PhD diss., 2016.
Qualitative Study of Sociotechnical Systems
- Kuksenok K. "Multilingualism on Social Media in the Maidan Movement." Digital Eastern Europe. Edited by Schreiber and Kosienkowski. 2015.
- Role of social media in 2014 Ukraine Maidan events (Central European University, Phil Howard)
- Kuksenok K, Brooks M, Wang Q, Lee C P. Challenges and Opportunities for Technology in Foreign Language Classrooms. CHI 2013, premier publishing venue in the Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) community. Best Paper Honorable Mention (top 5%)
- Kuksenok K, Mankoff J, Brooks M. Accessible Online Content Creation by End Users. Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. ACM, 2013.
- Scott T J, Kuksenok K, Brooks M, Aragon C. Adapting Grounded Theory to Construct A Taxonomy of Affect in Collaborative Online Chat. Proceedings of the 30th ACM international conference on Design of communication. ACM, 2012
- Mankoff J, Kuksenok K, Kiesler S, Rode J, Waldman K. Competing Online Viewpoints and Models of Chronic Illness. Proceedings of ACM SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, 2011.